Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Skydiving Madrid




I am not afraid of heights so jumping from a plane was a really easy decision. I never did it before because until now I've never found the appropriate companion for it. Doing it alone should not be half as fun as jumping with good friends.

The experience itself, exciting of course, but I think I expected kind of more adrenaline running through my veins. The reason? Leaving aside the fact that you are falling from 4000 meters height, you still have a parachute  -- actually two -- and the whole situation is always under the control of a professional with proven experience. To say better, I had more chance to die in a car accident coming back home.

So I said it, excitement to me is much related to control and risk. Do not think about risk, like risking dying only. You can risk money, time, reputation, etc. Control or the lack of it is about facing unexpected situations  -- not necessarily dangerous ones --  Tandem skydiving you go up, you go down that's it. Speed sensation wasn't that great. I missed that really magical feeling that freefall is supposed to produce. Still this is the closest I'm gonna get to feel like flying so I'm glad I did it. I believe that jumping alone with a wingsuit should be the kind of  excitement I would appreciate, but of course that will happen when you can buy miscellaneous skills like buying pills. We all want to be skydivers, surfers, moto-riders, etc. But this kind of stuff requires commitment and sacrifices that aren't part of my genetic code.

I'll be happy with being able to try different things at least once. Rafting, climbing, motocross are on my wish list.

Would I do it again?  For free of course, for a really good friend maybe, for a really nice girl no doubt!. But come on, 300€/ 1 minute ride. Once is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment